Build Back Greener
This is the slogan that underpins the Governments Net Zero Strategy released today. As we approach COP26 the Prime Minister has made his agenda very clear with the following statement:
“Our strategy for net zero is to lead the world in ending our contribution to climate change, while turning this mission into the greatest opportunity for jobs and prosperity for our country since the industrial revolution. – The Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP”
The strategy outlines many ambitious targets set out in a 10 point plan. Notably relating to heat in buildings the following key polices have been established:
- An ambition that by 2035, no new gas boilers will be sold.
- A new £450 million three-year Boiler Upgrade Scheme will see households offered grants of up to £5,000 for low-carbon heating systems so they cost the same as a gas boiler now.
- A new £60 million Heat Pump Ready programme that will provide funding for pioneering heat pump technologies and will support the government’s target of 600,000 installations a year by 2028.
- Delivering cheaper electricity by rebalancing of policy costs from electricity bills to gas bills this decade.
- Further funding for the Social Housing Decarbonisation Scheme and Home Upgrade Grants, investing £1.75 billion. Additional funding of £1.425 billion for Public Sector Decarbonisation, with the aim of reducing emissions from public sector buildings
by 75% by 2037.
- Launching a Hydrogen Village trial to inform a decision on the role of hydrogen in the heating system by 2026.
The entire strategy document can be accessed at this link.